USED should (1) instruct all states to post annual LEA determinations on their state dept. of education web sites - in an... more »
2. Revisit welfare reform and include more ties to parent continuing education and student performance.
3. Offer incentives for administrators with core-subject backgrounds. There's something to be said about a leader who can do their teachers jobs in their absence.
4. Follow up on districts that received funds from the... more »
This style of site is a good one, but you might take a few pointers from some other, similar sites. For example: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/ . They have three different options to vote: Disagree, Agree, and Abstain.
Beyond that, a mistaken mis-click is easily remedied, by clicking on another option. Sadly, I've already mis-clicked a couple ideas in this forum, so it would be handy to have.
Currently, many states have a board of Regents composed of retired business people who Are there as a reward for political support and who serve long enough to collect a pension without making any obvious... more »
I'm sure the idea is making many readers fill with rage, however I'd hope these people will consider the facts before they jump to conclusions.
1. Teaching is one of the only professions where employee accountability is nearly impossible. There is virtually no way to chart a teacher's effectiveness, productivity, and motivation accurately.... more »
1. Let the teachers take control in their classrooms and stop overtesting.
2. Understand that not all children have the ability to achieve at the same rate of speed.
3. Special needs students should not always be placed in the regular classroom because it interferes with the education of the students... more »
The fast paced nature of the modern economy involves rapidly changing skill sets, as employees change employers relatively frequently.
Solution: Every semester, students will use independent research utilizing any and all available resources to teach... more »
Modern American's as a whole are too dependent on their employer's for income. Few know what is involved in starting and running a business.
A Business 101 class should be required of all high school students their freshmen year. Part of this class would involve every student forming their own sole proprietorship, partnership, limited partnership, trust, corporation, and LLC. The class should form... more »
The job of this liaison would be to take long standing problems of efficiency and productivity:
-prepare a presentation of the problem,
-prepare a grant proposal
-Finally: to disseminate this presentation to the schools to be evaluated by the students.
Academic Scholarships... more »
FIRST Robotics goes a long way towards accomplishing this, however it's an underfunded extra-curricular which is perceived by many as "nerdy".
My specific recommendations are as follows:
Current "group projects" resemble unions in the... more »
Individual video lecture's enable the teacher to focus their time on 1 on 1 teaching instead of practicing their Greek theater.
This allows students to move at a more individualized pace, with the intelligent students graduating high school in a single year.
This requires that school's receive funding not based on attendance, but... more »
An example would be mass produced replacement/retrofit "desk" tops with an LCD screen built in to it under a glass plate.... more »